Arrogance and ignorance—wilful blindness—are plagues devastating tender and vital uniqueness. Social, racial and environmental injustice are universal norms. The rights of the individual are greater than and surpass the basic needs of the whole.
Why Lord don’t you act?
Why do you let these injustices continue?
You are able. Are you not willing?
Then in his graciousness he turned the mirror, and I was confronted by Truth.
I am guilty of all I rail against.
3 My enemies turn back;Psalm 9:3-6
they stumble and perish before you.
4 For you have upheld my right and my cause,
sitting enthroned as the righteous judge.
5 You have rebuked the nations and destroyed the wicked;
you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.
6 Endless ruin has overtaken my enemies,
you have uprooted their cities;
even the memory of them has perished.
I too stand condemned and worthy of rebuke, punishment and ruin. It is not us and them; it is us and Him. And He has acted. He has punished, He has exacted payment from the flesh of the pure. His life for our guilt. Our life for His glory.
We are all:
- Hopeless, helpless and hapless outside of His grace
- Equal—there is no scale of colour, gender or class in His sight
- Unworthy—there are none who can stand in His perfect presence
- Offered a clean slate, a fresh start, a new identity
- Loved, cherished, admonished, taught, transformed, encouraged, nurtured, gifted
- Humbled by his attention
- Aware of my need
- Forgiven by his grace
- Recorded in the Book of Life
- Loved as I am